Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Brrrrr....

It's been quite a chilly week! I think I was one of about 4 people on campus walking around in flip-flops; they even got snow at Appalachian Sunday into Monday! I had 2 exams on Monday that I think went very well, and as I look at my syllabi for my classes, I realized that there is not alot of time left in the fall semester; we have already made spring advising appointments and are preparing our schedules. Time flies when you're having fun :)
I found out this week that I get to make a presentation at a conference being held at UNCG based on the book A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. The book is one of my favorites and is a memoir telling the story of Beah's experiences as a boy soldier in Sierra Leone during the civil war there in the 1990's. Beah is actually here at UNCG this week for human rights week, and I will have the opportunity to hear him speak tomorrow. Tonight I had the opportunity to hear Jean-Marie Kamatali speak; Kamatali grew up in Rwanda and lived there before, during, and after the genocide that occurred there in the mid 90's. He is a human rights lawyer who has taught in Rwanda, at Notre Dame, and currently in Ohio.
Tonight, I helped Sadie, Ashlyn, and Linsey carve pumpkins for the pumpkin carving contest being put on by the Caf; more than anything I acted as a cheerleader and supplier :) Good stuff!

No comments: