Monday, October 6, 2008

A little music ed.

I got to experience an amazing thing on Sunday: my first hot Krispy Kreme doughnut. It was fantastic and delicious! Plus, I was completely fascinated watching the doughnuts roll down the conveyor belt and get coated in icing (it's the little things in life).
Today was a good Monday-I wasn't as tired as I could have been, and I think I did really well on my GIS exam. I'm am really enjoying my Music Appreciation class, in fact I'd say it's my favorite class. Professor Carroll is definitely musically gifted; he's a musician, composer, and does everything possible to make his lectures engaging. We are in the Baroque Period of music and it's taking me back to my homeschooling days when Megan, Steven, and I used to listen to cassette tapes like "Beethoven Lives Upstairs," "The Magic Flute" by Mozart, Handel's "Messiah", "Tchaikovsky Discovers America", and other stories involving the music of Vivaldi and Bach. They are some amazing tapes (and are probably in CD by now). Handel's "Messiah" is amazing and I love listening to it. We also touched on Johann Sebastian Bach today who is an intriguing man; he wrote an oratorio entitled "St. Matthew Passion" which detailed the passion and death of Jesus Christ. Something interesting about this piece: it was written in 12/8 meter (I'm not a music major so don't ask me what that means) BUT I know this is a Sicilian meter (Sicily, Italy) and Sicily is a small island where there are many shepherds; Jesus is often referred to as the Lamb of God and the ultimate shepherd so that is why Bach wrote specifically in that meter. Bach also signed all of his pieces "Sola Dei Gloria" which means for the "sole glory of God." Trivia that maybe you can use someday on Jeopardy, who knows? Now that I've given you a little music ed. here's another song that I'm really loving right now: "You Reign" by MercyMe- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUB80w-B9U

No comments: