Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jazzed up Mac 'n Cheese


I was not totally convinced about this macaroni and cheese recipe I found in Prevention magazine, but I decided to give it a try since I had a whole Butternut Squash to cook; it was surprisingly delicious! Plus, I think it's a great recipe to sneak some veggies in for kids who may not like them.


Recipe: (Serves 4)
- 8 oz whole wheat rotini (I used penne & there are 4 oz in 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 6 oz butternut squash (you can use frozen, I bought a whole one at the store, cut it up, boiled it and then mashed it)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs

* Simmer milk and squash until combined. Remove from heat and mix with cheese, salt, pepper, and mustard. Place cooked pasta into a "8 by 8" baking dish, stir in cheese mixture and top with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake @ 375 degrees for 20 min.

2 comments:

Rayn said...

I just made this and it was incredigood! Thanks for the recipe, Kata.

givinittogod247 said...

Glad you like it Raynie! Funny story about this recipe, according to my mom I actually mismeasured my ingredients when I converted from oz to cups, apparently there are 8 oz in 1 cup? The people online were wrongo so I'm going to post a revised edition ASAP. BUT I don't think the recipe tastes bad as is!