Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Slight Sticker Shock

I think I'm finally finished shopping for the essentials. After going to city mall yesterday, and forgetting more than several things, I decided to go back out today with a new New York friend I made. We took the bus to Stockland, a shopping center (essentially a mall) very close to campus, and returned with pretty much everything we needed. Prices are definitely higher than in the states though:
- 2 pk. of small laundry detergent: $10
- sunscreen 8.45 oz: $10
- tube of pringles: $4.50
I bought the cheapest brand of everything possible, since many brand items I could get at home were out of budget:
- $6-7 dollars for a bottle of tresemme or Garnier Fructis shampoo
- $15 dollars and up for regular sized boxes of laundry detergent
- $15 for Banana Boat sunscreen
I was also for some reason dying for a Coke-I don't drink Soda on a regular basis but a Coke just sounded amazing. So after pricing them at $3 dollars a bottle in the BigW, I headed towards the familiar McDonalds for a cheaper one; I was disappointed to discover that I paid $2.50 for a medium and the cup was the size of a small-don't want to know what the small looked like. I guess in the states we are so used to Super-Sizing everything, so I look on the positive side and think, at least I saved calories :)
I've made friends with more Americans, as well as a German exchange student, but while I enjoy spending time with them, I am also hesitant to get too comfortable JUST being with them; we were warned over and over again before we left UNCG, NOT to get into an American bubble, so I'm hoping O Week will lead to me making more Aussie friends. It is very hard though to break out of that American circle once I'm in it though, because I'm comfortable around them, we are all experiencing the same things being in a new country. Definitely a challenge. Another challenge I'm facing is finding a job. I really need one in order to make ends meet, so I would love your prayers in this area!

3 comments:

bethany said...

That is crazy about the prices...I think Josh would just rather "go without"...(nut) but, I am with you...sometimes, ya just need a coke...even if it is $2.50! I have gotten behind on checkin' up on you...what is the weather like? Is it totally fabulous there...? Rachel and I have ALWAYS wanted to travel there together, so you can't quit blogging. I want to know everything! Love ya girl. Take care & God bless.

-bethany

givinittogod247 said...

Thanks Bethany for the comment-love knowing people are reading. The weather is fantastic but hot and muggy-very similar to Honduras actually. The scenery is gorgeous as well, with plenty of flora and fauna.
Your better not stop blogging either because your posts always make me smile, I mean come on, who can resist Lucy-Kate's grins :)
Hope you and Felicity are feeling fantastic, can't wait to meet the new addition when I return! Love you guys.

Nancy H. said...

Wow Katie...things are very expensive there! I cannot imagine paying that much for shampoo. I check your blog everyday for updates. We sure miss you.

Nancy

P.S. I am praying that you will find a job soon!