Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hello from Down Under

Good morning from Australia everyone!
While many of you are experiencing chilly temps. and even some snow, it is 90 degrees and humid here; doesn't encourage much getting out.
I arrived at JCU around 11:30A on Friday, and have yet to meet any other international students, but have made friends with a group of students from AUS. I haven't done much since it's the weekend, other than unpack and hang out with people.
So far, I'm really enjoying it here. The campus is lovely, and the people are friendly. As far as food is concerned, the way they serve it on campus is different a each dorm has their own caf. and the selection is very limited. For lunch yesterday, it was make your own sandwich day and then dinner was a choice between some sort of pot-pie item, a veggie bake, and battered fish with boiled potatoes, corn, and salad as sides; couldn't quite get used to the salad which had veggies and lots of pineapple in it.....I'd say their diet is alot healthier then how we eat back in the states. Oh, and they have Subway-I had that for lunch on Friday.
Even though they speak English here, the still have plenty of lingo that can take a bit to pick up on. They don't have classifications for students like we do in the states (freshman, sophomores, juniors...) the first years are referred to as "freshies" and then all upperclassmen are "fossils". Their school divisions are different, they thought it was funny that we have elementary, middle, and high school; here, they only have primary and secondary. Flip-flops are not referred to as such, rather they are called thongs. Dorms are referred to as accommodation. When they tell time they don't say 10:15, they say half past 10. College is referred to as "uni". Air conditioning is called "air con" ( not AC ). They do tend to eat with their forks upside down. That's just what I've picked up on so far.
American music is extremely popular. The ipod playlist last night included Lady GaGa, Owl City, and the Black Eyed Peas. I traveled across the ocean and still could not escape hearing "Fireflies"!
Hopefully, I will have pictures to post soon; I have a welcome session on Tues. and then orientation week starts the 15th, so I should have some by that time.

1 comment:

Kristina Ragan said...

ahhh I do enjoy reading your lovely posts Miss Katie! Thanks for sharing all of your amazing stories and experiences with me!!!

Re-facebook me your skype name and we can skype. I accidently deleted all my messages in my inbox the other day.