Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feed Me, Feed Me

I love food, and there have been certain ones that I've had cravings for while in Australia.
1. Pizza. They have Dominoes and Pizza Hut around, but I have a feeling pies are pricy. And there have been no signs of this popular American food in the Aussie dining hall.
2. Hamburgers. The dining hall has served them once and it tastes more like meatloaf on a bun then an actual hamburger? I did get a really good one while at Maggie Island though.
3. Snack foods. For some strange reason. I feel like I could sit down and eat a bag of potato chips, a box of Goldfish, a bag of gummy worms, and a few Snickers bars, and still have room for dinner.
I find that when I do buy a snack or two, it's gone in a matter of 2 days at the most, and it's not a very good way to be spending my money. Plus, like I mentioned in an earlier post, things are expensive ($5 for a tube of pringles).
I've developed a strange love for peanut butter and bread. I never eat it at home, I don't like peanut butter with anything but fruit and celery, but for some reason, I love it here; I'm pretty sure it has to do with the bread, they have whole meal bread here instead of whole wheat, and I love it. It tastes like its been fresh-baked, super soft, and it's got that flavor to it. I also discovered Nutella the other night, so I'm determined on my next visit to the store, I will be buying a jar and a loaf of whole meal bread to go along with it.
Rice snacks are very popular in the grocery stores, the selection of these snack items far outnumbers the types of chips available. They are a bit hard to get used to, but I've developed a like for them.
I'm an ice cream lover, so I've been very pleased to find that the dining hall serves ice cream a couple times a week at dinner. Also, to all you Cold Stone lovers out there, if you make a trip to Australia (at least Townsville) you should be able to find a pretty good substitute: Cold Rock Ice Creamery. Prepared and tastes just like Cold Stone, and probably pretty evenly price matched with a regular cup costing around $5 dollars.
Overall, I'd say my diet is healthier than home, although some days I feel like I eat alot of carbs and meat.
Of course, nothing beats home made cooking, and it's not so easy for mom to send goodies by mail here, due to shipping costs and customs restrictions.
This has been my first week of classes, tomorrow and Friday will wrap things up, and it has also been my first full week of work shifts. So far, things are running smoothly. I'll get into details a bit later in future posts.

2 comments:

Claire Drake said...

Hiya, Katie! I just caught up on your blog, and everything sounds wonderful and exciting. There are always some things, of course, that we aren't thrilled about - the bibs and such did sound a bit annoying. Glad you're through with that stuff!
It's ironic that you'd crave the snack foods when you've always been so good about not overdoing it on those. Maybe it's a case of wanting them more because they're not so easily available or affordable like here at home. Are fruits and veggies less expensive there than here?
Thanks for keeping us updated on your visit - it's very interesting!
I love you, sweetie - you're in my thoughts and prayers! Claire

givinittogod247 said...

I'm so glad you found me Mrs. Claire! I think you could be right on your snack food theory, and in general, everything is more expensive here, but wages are higher than the U.S.
I love you guys bunches ,and thank you for your thoughts and prayers!