Saturday, April 17, 2010

Maggie Island

Last Friday I visited Magnetic Island, about a 10-15 min. car ride and 15 min. ferry ride from JCU, for a 'Tourism and the Environment' field trip. I visited for a short time back during O Week, but enjoyed being able to visit multiple bays this time around. It was a hot day though and our bus decided it didn't want to move with 26 people aboard, once we got into the less visited areas of the island, so we got off and walked until a mechanic came and helped us out.
Didn't see too much wildlife other than a few rock wallabies, plenty of birds, and a golden orb spider that was beautiful and very large.
I took plenty of pics; I'm not pleased with my camera quality and the way pictures look once posted, they look better in Iphoto than on here, so I think I will upload most of the ones below onto facebook.
Lecture recess started yesterday and it began nicely for me-I worked, went to uni club, hung out with some people, went to a b-day party for a short bit tonight; nice to take a break from school and all the work that goes with it (especially when you hear 2, 8 page papers calling your name...I will have to go to an all day practical session on Thursday for a class and then travel about a hour west to Charters Towers for a mining field trip on Friday, should be interesting. My next next travel dates will hopefully be April 30th-May 3rd to Mission Beach, north of Townsville, for some sky diving and snorkeling. Fun stuff :)
Can't believe how quickly time is flying, I'm having loads of fun here and am going to miss it, but at the same time can't wait to see people back home!

Ferry Terminal at Nelly Bay

Probably my fav. pic. taken at Radical Bay (?)

I'll give you a prize if you can spot the rock wallaby in this one

Florence Bay

Arthur Bay lookout

Arthur Bay

The granite outcrops found all over the island are pretty impressive

Horseshoe Bay Lagoon






Can you spot the Rainbow Larkeet?

Picnic Bay, where the old ferry terminal used to be located until 2003




Gray Ash trees, their bases actually protect them from fire

4 comments:

GardenGoddess said...

Great Pics Katie, looks like a beautiful place. I am enjoying seeing it through your eyes! Take care....Diana

Bonnie said...

Katie,
These pictures are fantastic, and I've enjoyed touring around your blog. thanks for sharing.

bethany said...

I can't help but think how awesome you are Miss Katie! I think it's great that you can have this whole BIG experience and I know you're being a good student. Thanks so much for all the pics and for sharing what's going on in your life. We miss you!

givinittogod247 said...

Thank you Bonnie, Diana, and Bethany! I enjoy being able to share :)